“Experienced” attorneys in New York must complete a minimum of twenty-four (24) NY CLE credit hours each two-year New York CLE reporting cycle. Attorneys who have been admitted to the New York Bar for more than two years are considered “experienced” attorneys. Experienced New York attorneys may complete all 24 NY CLE credit hours through online, downloadable and CD CLE courses.
Ethics and Professionalism may include:
- The norms relating to lawyers’ professional obligations to clients
- The norms relating to lawyers’ professional relations with prospective clients, courts and other legal institutions, and third parties
- The sources of lawyers’ professional obligations
- Recognition and resolution of ethical dilemmas
- The mechanisms for enforcing professional norms; substance abuse control; and professional values
Of the 24 required NY CLE credit hours, at least 4 of these hours must be in the area of Ethics and Professionalism category. Ethics and Professionalism is a broad category and encompasses many different topics. All 4 required New York Ethics and Professionalism credit hours may be completed through online CLE courses. For more information about CLE in New York please click the following link: NY CLE.
 Including the obligation to provide legal assistance to those in need, confidentiality, competence, conflicts of interest, the allocation of decision-making, and zealous advocacy and its limits.
 Including the lawyers’ fiduciary, accounting and record-keeping obligations when entrusted with law client and escrow monies, as well as the norms relating to civility.
 Including disciplinary rules, judicial decisions, and relevant constitutional and statutory provisions
 Including professional development, improving the profession, and the promotion of fairness, justice and morality.